Want to know how to get a flawless makeup look, every time? Look no further than our ten-step guide.
The key to looking good is consistency. Some women like to make a special effort when the occasion demands it, but can sometimes let their standards slip if they don’t have a consistent routine. Great-looking makeup needn’t be reserved just for those special occasions though; if you want to find out how to get a flawless look with a minimum of fuss every time you reach for your powders and brushes, look no further than our ten-step guide.
1. Cleanse – First things first: makeup should not go on dirty skin. We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again; lukewarm, clean water and a gentle face wash are better for all skin types than soap, shower gel and hot or cold water. Get this routine down to have your skin looking its best.
2. Prepare – Skin all nice and clean? Great. Now you need to moisturise; make sure you cover your whole face, but pay extra attention to patches of rough, dry skin. You should never moisturise on a completely dry face either. Pat your face dry with a soft, clean towel and apply your moisturiser while it’s still damp to the touch.
3. Base – Once the moisturiser has been absorbed into your skin and it’s looking supple and springy, you can start on the base to your look. For a big night out, you might want to apply a good liquid foundation, but remember our tips on tone and blending. Most of the time though, using a concealer on the dark patches under your eyes and on any redness or imperfections should adequately suffice.
4. Eyes – By now, you should have a nicely prepped canvas upon which to work your makeup magic. Start with the eyes; you have numerous options here, and can opt for a subtle, nude look, a classic smoky eye or something altogether more ambitious. Just remember to keep your eyeliner, eyeshadow and mascara handy!
5. Lips – Ok, we’re at the halfway stage and things are really starting to come together nicely. Time to concentrate your efforts further south with the lips; make sure you’ve got yourself a lip colour that suits your natural colouring – within a couple of shades of the natural tone of your lips is a good point from which to start.
If you’ve followed our first five steps closely, you should already be looking healthy, fresh and dynamic. These steps will be enough to prepare you for a shift in the office or a day out with friends, but for a night on the town or a date with a guy you might want to take your look a little further. Check out the <second part> in our ten-step guide for further advice on how to perfect your look.